You are not alone.
Call Covenant House Washington
at (202) 610-9600
If you are living on the streets, or if you think you are at risk, we want you to know that there are people at Covenant House Washington who want to help.
Crisis Counseling for Homeless and At-Risk Youth
We help young people who have:
- Run from physical and sexual abuse and neglect
- Been kicked out by their parents or caregivers
- Aged out of the foster care system
- Been lured to the streets by sexual predators, drug dealers or even friends
If you aren’t living on the streets but are thinking of running away, please call us for help.
Living on the streets is the worst kind of survival.
- Unless you have a lot of money, you may be forced to sleep in doorways, behind dumpsters, on the beach or in a park.
- Stealing and theft is common, and your belongings may be taken while you try to sleep.
- You’ll be vulnerable to violence, disease and mental health issues.
- You’ll be vulnerable to sexual predators who will offer you a place to stay and/or drugs, then force you to work off your debt in the sex trade or with illegal activity.
However, living in an abusive and unsafe place is not acceptable either. If you can’t stay where you are, answer these questions:
- Do you have a relative, teacher or someone else you trust who could help you find a safe place to live and money to support yourself?
- Do you know where your local safe house or crisis shelters are?
- Do you know about any Community Resources that are available to you?
- Have you called us?